The Kurunegala clock tower was built in 1922 as a tribute to the officers, who went from the Wayamba province and sacrificed their lives in the First World War. The tower memorial plaque has the following inscribed:
"This Clock Tower was erected in memory of those who went from the North Western province at the call of duty and gave their lives for the empire in the World War in 1914–1918"
However, soon after 1945, the tower was also dedicated to the valiant officers who sacrificed their lives in the Second World War.
Located at the centre of the city, today the Kurunegala clock tower serves as a landmark of the city. The Kurunegala Court of Law, The Central Market and the Central Bus Stand are also situated in the vicinity of the clock tower